Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mom's Brisket

Mom has given me a fail-proof brisket recipe. We have made this twice now and each time it has come out great. One of the times we cooked it in the oven, and the other time we cooked it on our grill - just being careful to keep the temperature right.

Here's Mom's instructions and I'll put my comments in italics:

Wrap brisket in heavy foil and put in large roaster fat side up (I remove as much of the fat as possible first - and so do I). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Seal the foil up around it, and put the roaster lid on. Bake for 6 hours at 250. I will interject here - I don't think it matters what size or weight your brisket is - it's all the same. When we cooked the brisket on the grill, we just put the foil wrapped brisket in a disposable foil pan on top of the grill bars.


For the sauce, mix the following ingredients together in a saucepan and cook for thirty minutes on low: I recommend doubling this sauce mix - it is that good. Oh, and I never remember to start cooking this until time is almost up. I recommend starting the sauce at 5 hours of cooking.

  • ½ cup red wine
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 dashes Tabasco
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • ¼ cup vinegar
  • 2 tbls. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 dash liquid smoke
  • 1 dash soy sauce

After the brisket has baked for 6 hours, open the foil carefully to let the steam out without burning yourself (or have your husband do this). Avoid breaking the foil, though, because you’ll need to re-wrap the brisket. I siphon off most of the accumulated juices and save them.

Pour some of the sauce over the brisket, re-wrap, and bake for another hour. Save the remaining sauce for serving.

You can also use the juices from the brisket with some of the leftover meat. The juices are tasty, too, after you skim off the fat.


Here's the brisket while it's still in the foil.



And here's the finished product. Oh - I forgot to mention - be sure to cut your slices against the grain of the meat. Very important.



We made this with The Pioneer Woman's potatoes the other night and man were they good too!

No comments: