Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mom's Birthday Cake

02-06-10 023
Things have slowed down a bit at work. I only got one phone call today - yeah!

So, I got to have Mom's birthday dinner tonight. She requested her favorite cake - chocolate cake with Seven Minute frosting. It's a pretty simple cake, that turns out really well each time.

I use the recipe from the container of Hershey's Cocoa. In case you need it, here it is:

Ingredients:

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

The seven minute frosting recipe I used was from my old Betty Crocker Recipe book - you know, the old red book we all have.

Here's that recipe:

2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup or Cream of Tartar (I used the cream of tartar)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put egg whites, sugar, water and syrup in top of double boiler. Beat until mixed well. Place over rapidly boiling water. Beat constantly with electric beater while it cooks for 7 minutes or until it will stand in peaks when beater is raised. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat. Fills and frosts 2 layer cake, 8 or 9 inch.

I actually doubled the icing recipe, because I like a lot of icing on my cake. I ended up with tons extra, which I was quite happy to nibble on.

Here's the beginnings of the cake.
02-06-10 020

Here's a picture after I have completely frosted it.
02-06-10 021

But I couldn't stop there. My mom likes to have unsweetened (or semi-sweet chocolate in my case, since that's all I had) chocolate drizzled over the cake. It makes a nice crunch when you take a bite.
02-06-10 022

Here's a slice - it was a sloppy slice, but it was yummy.
02-06-10 032

I'll be posting more from this dinner later, I just thought I would start with dessert first.

Happy Late Birthday Mom!

02-06-10 028

4 comments:

Reading Allowed said...

yum! That cake looks delicious!

Happy birthday Suzy!

Mom (Suzie) said...

Thank you, Reading Allowed! Wendy's dinner was delicious. She mostly created the recipes herself, and each dish was outstanding. I am blessed to have such a loving family.

Donna said...

Yummy! Send a piece to Georgia STAT! I see the frosting recipe uses Cream of Tartar. So glad to see this one since I had that little "use my spices before they expire" incident. I'm keeping this one! Thanks Wendy. Happy Monday!

areti93 said...

hey ! i'm from Greece and i made this cake for my mom's birthday...she loved it ! it was absolutely amazing ,so tasty 'n yummy... thank you !!! do you have more recipes like this? :)