Sunday, September 4, 2011

Honey Bun Cake

9-4-11 (3)

The other day I was looking at all of the cake mixes I have in my pantry and decided I needed to make something.

I should explain. Yes, the show Extreme Couponing has been seen in my house, and yes I may have the couponing bug. I am not going to the extremes that the people on the show go to, but I still have about 30 boxes of cake mixed in my pantry at the moment. What? I got those for about $0.25 each, so it was a good deal.

Anyway, back to the recipe.
9-4-11 (5)
This is the Honey Bun Cake. Bailey used to request it for her birthday each year, but back then I made it in a 9x13 pan. I wanted something easier so I made it in a bunt pan today. The original recipe came from here and of course I tweaked it a bit.

Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
I added 1 box of vanilla pudding because I also have a lot of those too it makes cakes very moist.

1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

For the icing:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
4 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat your over to 325 degrees.  Spray your bunt pan with cooking spray. 

Let me just say here that I love, Love, LOVE the smell of Pam Baking spray. 

Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs, sour cream and pudding together.  Pour half of the mix into the pan.  Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle the mixture over the cake.  Pour the rest of the cake into the pan. 

Bake for about 50 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean. 

Mix together the icing and after the cake has cooled a bit, drizzle the icing over the cake.
9-4-11 (14)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Donna said...

That looks so yummy. I need me a piece of that with a glass of cold milk stat! You got an awesome deal on those cake mixes! I don't have a single one in my pantry. I have not baked in awhile. I'm trying to stay away from sweets until after my son's wedding. Then it's full speed ahead!