Sunday, June 14, 2009

No-Bake Cookies

A couple of days ago, Bailey had her friend Tiffany spend the night and they were wanting to make something. Actually, Bailey doesn't like cooking that much, but Tiffany does (a child after my own heart). So, Tiffany and I persuaded Bailey to make some cookies.

I got this recipe from Starwoodgal's blog and the original recipe is here.

I chose this recipe because it didn't involve turning on my oven - something that becomes more and more important as the mercury rises during the summer. Also, it has very few ingredients - have I mentioned that I'm kinda lazy?

Here's what you need:


  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 stick margarine (I used real butter)
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used skim milk - what can I say, I'm a contradiction)
Mix in a saucepan and boil for one minute. Stir constantly. Add in the following:

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
Mix them well and drop them in spoonfuls onto wax paper. I actually added about another cup of oats - I didn't think they would ever get solid. We put ours into the fridge to cool as well.

******UPDATE*******
I actually made these again last night, this time without the distraction, er, I mean help from the girls. And this time I didn't have to add any extra oats and it worked perfectly. I suspect we might have gotten off count when we were adding oatmeal last time.
Back to the original post.
******************************

Here's the mix beginning to boil.


Food tastes better when you have two cute helpers!



Here's the finished product. The girls actually rolled some in coconut and some in pecans, although just like Starwoodgal says - we preferred them plain as well.



These cookies really grew on us. The hint of peanut butter with the chocolate is really good. And with the oats, you can pretend you are eating something healthy.

I meant to take a prettier picture with the cookies on a nice plate, but they were gone.

No comments: