Monday, November 1, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Casserole



I used to make this dish all of the time, and for some reason I guess I just stopped. The recipe came from my Grandmother and it is quite adaptable.

This was the perfect recipe for this adorable set of baking dishes that my friend Melissa gave me for my birthday! Aren't these adorable?


I think this is pretty adorable too.

Ok - back to the food. I poached 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in chicken broth.


Then I added these. The thing about this recipe is that if you don't like these soups, you can use cream of celery, or cream of potato. My Grandmother used cream of mushroom, but that's not allowed in my house because mushrooms are gross, so I used cream of onion and cream of chicken soup. Also add 1 can of chopped green chiles.


Chop up your corn tortillas into bite size pieces.


Then spray your dish with cooking oil and put one layer of tortillas down.

Chop up your cooked chicken and mix it together with your soup mixture.

Here's where you can have fun. I've been known to add black olives, black beans, cans of chopped tomatoes even some sour cream. It's a good time to empty out your pantry or fridge. You can add whatever floats your boat.

I kept it simple this time - chicken, soup and chiles.

Mix it all together.


Then spread a bit on top of your tortilla layer.


Then sprinkle with cheese.

Repeat the layers and end with tortillas and cheese on top.

I cover it with foil and bake at 350 until it's bubbly. About 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 5 more minutes until the cheese is browned.

Let it set for a few minutes before you cut into it.

Enjoy!

And one more cute kid picture - because it's my blog.

No comments: