Thursday, April 16, 2009

Black-Bean Burgers

This is a recipe I got from Gourmet Magazine, February 2009 issue.


I chose this recipe because I love black beans, and the recipe didn't have too many ingredients. It has 7 Weight Watchers points (not including the hamburger buns).


I often chose recipes based on how many ingredients it calls for - and if there are too many I have been known to edit some out.


This recipe was super quick to make and I really liked it.


Here's what you need:

  • 2 (14oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
  • 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs (I found that it needed double this amount)
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (I'm too lazy to chop cilantro, so I tossed it in when I put the beans in the food processor.)
  • 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
  • 4 hamburger buns

Pulse 1 can beans in a food processor with mayonnaise, bread crumbs and spices until a coarse puree forms. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro (if you hadn't already added it to the mix prior like me) and remaining can of beans. Form mixture into 4 patties.


Heat oil in a heavy skillet and cook the burgers until the outsides are crisp and lightly browned, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Serve on buns.


Here's some play-by-play pictures.


The rinsed black beans.




This was the mixture before I decided to add more bread crumbs. It was way too wet.



Here's a picture of my 4 patties prior to cooking.



And here's the finished product. For the record, I added a slice of cheese to mine, well, because, everything is better with cheese on it.


And even though I really liked it and ate all of mine, my family didn't agree. Rominal had about 3 bites and Bailey - well this was her only bite.





Something tells me she won't be asking for this meal again any time soon.

No comments: