Monday, November 26, 2012

Banana Bread

banana bread (4)

I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. 

Since my last post, I went on a Girl Scout camping weekend with these two - Tiffany and my daughter Bailey.

DSC_0076

We had a super weekend.  I think the girls had a blast.

Here's one more picture from that weekend - the area was beautiful.

DSC_0240

So, now back to a quick recipe.  Normally when I have over ripe bananas, I make my chocolate chip banana muffins, which are awesome, but I wanted something more basic this time.  This recipe fit the bill.  I actually doubled this recipe and made two loaves - which was nice because I gave one away.  I got this recipe from here.

Here's the details:

  • 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

  •  
    (The recipe says you can mix this with a spoon, but I ended up using my Kitchen Aid mixer anyway)
     
    Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
     
    I peeked into the oven about 45 minutes into the cooking time and the bread looked perfect - golden brown and ready to go.  I did the knife test (stick a knife into the middle and see if it comes out clean) and it failed.  The bread was not done yet - so it did cook the full hour.  So, don't be fooled - it will take an hour.
     
     
    banana bread (4)
     
    Enjoy!
     
     
     

    No comments: