Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tropical Fruit Salad


A while back I found this recipe in the newspaper and I clipped it out. I knew at some point I would want to make it. About a week ago, I got the opportunity to try it out. It had two of my favorite flavors, cilantro and avocado. Also it has jicama in it, and I'm always trying to find recipes for jicama - I love it too.

Here's what you need:

• 1 small red onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin
• 2 tablespoons light olive oil
• 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
• Juice from one lime
• 1 (3-pound) pineapple, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
• 2 cups peeled and diced jicama
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups diced firm papaya (the fresh papaya I bought tasted terrible, so I ended up using a canned tropical fruit salad. It worked just fine.)
• 1 avocado, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
• ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro


Place the onion slices in a medium bowl and toss with the olive oil, vinegar and fresh lime juice. Add pineapple, jicama and salt; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I didn't have time for this, so just let it sit for an hour before my guests arrived.)

When ready to serve add the papaya, avocado and cilantro. Gently toss and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 8 servings.

I thought this turned out really good. It was a nice, refreshing salad.

No comments: