Thursday, September 23, 2010

Black Bean Hummus





I love hummus, and I love black beans. So it occurred to me today, why can't hummus be made with black beans?








Well, let's overlook the obvious visual comparisons to ground up black beans, and move on, shall we?








Here's what I did. I first drained 1 can of reduced sodium black beans (reserving the liquid) and put them in my food processor. I then added some cilantro.











I mixed in some seasonings and it was done in no time.








It was really good. I just about ate this whole bowl. I finally had to put it in the fridge just to get it away from me.















Here's the recipe - I didn't really measure anything, so I'm guessing on things here.








  • 1 can of reduced sodium black beans, reserve the drained juice please




  • Cilantro - as much as you like, and I like lots




  • Cumin, about 2 tsp




  • Celery salt, about 1 tsp




  • Garlic powder, about 1 tsp




  • Cayenne pepper - about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp




  • Kosher salt - about 2 tsp




  • Pepper - about 2 tsp




  • Juice of 1 lime




Blend together and add the reserved bean liquid until the mixture is the desired consistency.





It was such a quick snack to make - I'll be doing this again, and again, and again. And since there was no oil or tahini, this really is a low-fat, healthy snack. I paired it with naked pita chips.























Enjoy!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love black beans and I love hummus! Love this new twist!