Monday, April 27, 2009

Grapefruit, Jicama and Olive Salad

I made this salad Sunday night. It is a recipe that my Weight Watcher's leader put up in our meeting. I love jicama, have you tried it yet? I wasn't sure about the olives in it, but it turned out pretty good.



Here's the recipe:


  • 1 Tbs lemon juice

  • 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

  • 1/4 tsp salt

  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

  • 1 24oz jar of red grapefruit sections, in light juice - drained

  • 1/2 jicama, peeled, sliced into thin strips

  • 10 pitted kalamata olives - sliced (I used green, because I forgot which kind they were supposed to be when I was at the store)

Combine lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl and beat with a whisk. Add the grapefruit, jicama and olives and toss.


4 Servings = 1 point each


If you have never tried jicama before, here's your chance. I should have taken a picture of it before I started to cut it up, but this is after I have cut it in half and sliced off the outer peel. It's very crunchy and somewhat sweet.




Here's the grapefruit and jicama mixed together, before I realized that I had forgotten the olives. I'm really not one to follow a recipe very carefully.






Ok - crisis averted - I have added some olives. Only to find out that they were the wrong ones. Oh well. Again, me and following directions. I'm not going to have some recipe telling me what to do, I like to be in charge.





And here's a close up for you. I'm curious to see if the tastes mingle more in the fridge today. Overall, I liked it. My family wasn't quite as enthusiastic about it though.






Have a great day!

No comments: