Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Crunchy Edamame Salad



The other night I made the best salad and I just had to share it with you here.

Wait. Do you ever get the feeling that you are being watched? No? Is it just me?


First I mixed together a basic mustard vinegrette. I think any dressing you like would work well. I will give you what I made below.

Then I took the frozen shelled edamame and cooked it according to the directions. In my case, I had a microwave bag and nuked the edamame in the bag. Once the edamame was cooked, I put it in a bowl and poured the dressing on top and let it hang out in the dressing while I chopped the rest of the stuff.



Seriously, you don't get the feeling you are being watched? That just gives me the creeps! NO? It's just me? Ok - shake it off, Wendy.


I peeled and chopped up a jicama so that the pieces were little cubes about the same size of the edamame peas, and I dumped that in with the edamame.

I then chopped up an English cucumber (these are the ones that come wrapped in plastic). I also chopped it up to be the same size of the edamame. No need to peel this cucumber.

I mixed everything together and then because I happened to be cooking fish that night I had some lime out and ended up squeezing one lime all over the salad. I also happened to have some cilantro out and chopped that up and put it in the salad too.

Add salt and pepper to taste and eat away! I've since had this salad the second night and it is just as good.



Here's the ingredients:

For the dressing (I'm guessing on the measurements, just add stuff until it tastes right to you.)

  • Some sugar - about 2 spoonfuls (see how technical I am?)
  • Dijon mustard - 4 spoonfuls
  • Apple Cider vinegar - 1/4 a cup, maybe?
  • Olive oil - drizzle in until the dressing is right - 1/3 a cup maybe?
  • Salt & pepper

Salad

  • Shelled Edamame
  • Jicama - the one I got was about the size of 2 fists put together.
  • English Cucumber
  • Lime juice
  • Cilantro
  • Salt and pepper

The next time I make this I think I will add some chopped red pepper. It just needs some color.

See - I thought someone was watching me - not very intently in this picture though. I guess bored him to sleep.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

yum! that sounds fantastic!