Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wii Active

So, I often post about my weight loss struggles here on my blog. However, it's been a while since I've mentioned it. Lately, I've been more likely to talk about things I'm baking or making. Not a good combination when I'm trying to lose weight.


Well, I have a discovery for you. If you have a Wii, please go get the Wii Active. I have the Wii Fit and the Wii Fit Plus, but I never really felt like I was getting a total workout using those. While I could play them for a while, I wasn't sweaty when I was done using them. The Wii Active is different. You will work up a sweat with this. You will be sore the next day. It comes with a leg strap that you put the nunchuk in for certain exercises, and it comes with a rubber band for weight work.


The Wii Active has a 30 Day challenge which I am currently doing. It gives you about 30 minutes of exercises each day to do. The exercises range from jogging, to arm curls, to in line skating, to leg lunges. I promise you, you will feel it, and at the end of the time, you will be sweating.


My brother David and his wife Lauren were in town last weekend. David tried out the Wii Active while he was here and he liked it so much he has already ordered one for him.


Here's Lauren watching David work out. It's fun to watch other people work out.





And here's David on my treadmill while doing the Wii Active. Note that David is wearing the leg strap that came with the Wii Active.


I'm not sure what he is doing with his arms. I assure you, it's not necessary.






I should explain why David is on the treadmill while doing the Wii. I have found that for the times when the game has you run, it's less frustrating to run on the treadmill than run in a circle or in place. I think I get a better workout that way. And the game can tell if you are faking it and not actually running.


I like that the game will give you different activities each day. One day you might box as one of your activities, another day you might play tennis. It keeps me interested and I am definitely feeling the workout.


My only complaints about the game is that it doesn't weigh you the way the Wii Fit does using the balance board. Also, there are not any activities specifically for your stomach (I'm thinking sit-ups). However, they are coming out with a Wii Active Plus in a bit and maybe these things are addressed. One more thing, I think the rubber band that comes with this is a bit lose. I'm thinking about getting another one that would provide more resistance and thus be harder. You can use any band with this if you already have one.


Anyway - that's my two cents about the Wii Active.

No comments: