Friday, January 8, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup



I have not made Chicken Tortilla Soup before, but I gotta say - I think this turned out really well.

It's freezing cold here, so soup was on the menu the other night. Also, this is a low fat dish, and that plays well with my weight loss goals.

Let's see if I can remember everything I did.

First I poached 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in some low sodium chicken broth. I used 3 chicken breasts because there are 3 of us. If you have more people in your house, use more chicken.

While the chicken was cooking, I chopped up an onion,


and I peeled 3 garlic cloves. I didn't chop these because I have a garlic press. If you don't have a garlic press, then chop these up too please.



Once the chicken was done, I shredded it with two forks.



I then cooked the onion and garlic in a tiny (about a teaspoon) of olive oil until the onions were a bit soft. I did this in my big soup pot.

Then I added two of these.



And 1 bag of this (I didn't even defrost it first!):


And a can of this (I drained just a bit of the juice off, but most of it went into the soup).



I also added some cumin (my new favorite spice), some kosher salt, some black pepper, and some cayenne pepper. I don't like things too spicy, but if you do - add more cayenne.

I took 4 corn tortillas (and I'm sorry, but I didn't take a picture of this - bad Wendy), and sliced them into very thin strips. These break down and make the soup thicker.

I chopped up a bunch of cilantro and threw that in there too.

Right before we ate, I juiced 1 lime into the soup, and threw in even more cilantro because I firmly believe that you can't have too much cilantro. (In this picture, you can see the strips of corn tortilla - after simmering the soup for a bit, they disappeared.)

I put a couple of tortilla chips into the bottom of each bowl, and poured the soup on top. Add a sprinkle of cheese, and, yes - more cilantro. It was so good!




Let me know if you make this and what you think.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Love Tortilla soup! Sure could use this today with the temps at 10 degrees! Love cilantro and yes more is better!