Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Oatmeal

My Grandmother was known for being a wonderful cook. She could host a party for 20 relatives and not get stressed out at all.

Back in 1988, each female in my family received a hand-made cookbook of recipes that Grandma had made us throughout the years. These were recipes that she particularly loved and made often. While this meant a lot to me at the time, now that she is gone, this book means that much more to me. It's a way to connect with her once again. In fact, for her memorial service earlier this year, my Mom and I made food from the recipes in this book.

So, the other weekend when my bonus-mom, Peggy, was in town, we made a recipe from this book. Peggy knew this recipe well, almost by heart even, because it was the same recipe she makes all of the time. I am very disappointed to say, that I had never made these cookies. If I had known I had this fantastic recipe all of this time, I wouldn't have waited this long.

Grandma has this recipe titled Mrs. Field's Cookies - but just so that I don't get in trouble, I'm calling them chocolate chip cookies with oatmeal.

Here's what you need:

Cream together:
  • 2 cups butter
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups white sugar

Add

  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Mix in:

  • 4 cups flour
  • 5 cups of Oats (we used old fashioned oatmeal - and first you grind this for a bit in a food processor - you want it not so much "oats" and a tad bit more like flour - but with some oats still visible)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 24 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

The recipe calls for 8 ounces of Hershey Bar grated, and 3 cups of chopped nuts, but we left both of these out.

Roll into balls or use your handy cookie scoop and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

This makes a ton of cookies - which is a good thing. They won't last long.

Here's the mix all mixed up.

And here they are about to go into the oven. You can eat them now, but try not to.




And here's a plate of wonderful cookies. You have got to try these.



You won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Reading Allowed said...

hey those look familiar! I know the recipe from your "bonus-mom." these are John's favorite cookies in the whole world. And mine too probably. mmmmm :)

Kimberly said...

Aww ... I love the term "bonus-mom" - that's great!