Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Multigrain Bread


Here's an interesting thing, the number one page viewed on my blog is the recipe for multigrain bread. Thanks again to my sister Erin and my bonus-mom Peggy for sharing this recipe with me.

If you haven't tried it yet, you owe it to yourself to make this bread. It really is that good. I make it every weekend and freeze the loaves and pull out a loaf whenever we run out.

So, I've been toying with the idea of adding a cinnamon sugar swirl to the bread for a while now. I didn't do it sooner because I was concerned it might be too good and Bailey would insist that I make the bread that way from now on.

I should have listened to myself. It is that good.

I basically made the multigrain bread recipe, and then after the first rise, before you put the dough into the bread pans, I stretched out the dough and sprinkled on a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. I then rolled the dough up and put it in the bread pan for the second rise.

I decided to not roll this loaf in oats, so that I could easily tell which loaf was the one with the cinnamon swirl and which one was my normal loaf.


Here's what it looks like when I sliced into it. There is a bit of a hole where the cinnamon sugar is, but I'm fine with that


I think next time I might add raisins and maybe try to stretch it out a bit farther so that I have more of a swirl in the bread.

Let me know if you try this too.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Mmmm, mmmm, good. Thanks for doing this, I've been meaning to for a long time myself.

In the interest of full disclosure, we probably should mention that the origin of this recipe was America's Test Kitchen.

Donna said...

I can smell the cinnamon all the way over here! I bought the ingredients for the Sausage,Roasted Vegetable Pasta for Thursday dinner. I am going to try the bread this weekend. I'll let you know how that goes. I have never baked bread from scratch before!

Bailey said...

it is good :) i say you should make bread like this ALL the time :)