Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Penne

Sorry, no pictures today - I had no idea this would turn out so good, so I hadn't bothered to take out my camera. It was just going to be a quick meal. I made this dish for dinner Sunday night and we ate the entire thing. It was so good!

This is a recipe by Melissa d'Arabian on Food Network. The original recipe is here.
I made a few changes, which I will indicate below:

Ingredients
1 sweet onion, cut into wedges
1 medium zucchini, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, cheeks removed
1/2 pound button mushrooms, stemmed (nope - did not include these - mushrooms are fungus. Nothankyouverymuch.)
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, washed and dried
2 sweet or hot Italian sausages, thinly sliced or casings removed (I happened to have chicken with asiago cheese sausage on hand and it worked great.)
1/4 cup white wine (not sure how much I actually put into the pot, because I drank what wasn't used.)
12 ounces whole-grain penne, cooked according to package instructions, 1/2 cup pasta water reserved (Bailey wanted pasta shells, so that's what we used.)
Freshly grated Parmesan, for garnish

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. (I roast my veggies at 425 degrees)

In a bowl, toss all the vegetables, except the tomatoes, with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange on a baking sheet and roast, until caramelized, about 30 minutes, turning vegetables halfway through the cooking time. In a small bowl, add the tomatoes and the remaining olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add to the baking sheet, at the halfway point of cooking, to caramelize. (I always do this on parchment paper, mostly because my cooking sheet is nasty looking, and because it makes for easy cleanup.)

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and saute until cooked through. Turn up the heat and deglaze with white wine. Once the vegetables are cooked, cool slightly, then coarsely chop. Add the vegetables and any pan juices to the sausage in the skillet. Toss in the cooked penne, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to moisten. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve in bowls topped with Parmesan.





Again, sorry for no pictures, but please do try this recipe. It's a winner!





Enjoy!

2 comments:

Donna said...

I am thinking I may start checking in on you AFTER lunch. I am hungry and all this talk of roasted vegetables and sausage is making me more hungry! I hear ya about the photos, sometimes I have those "I wish I had taken a photo moment" but the ingredients listed sound so good, it'll show up on next weeks dinner!

Donna said...

I made this recipe and it is a winner! I posted about it and Thanks for sharing it. It was a dinner hit!