Sunday, December 29, 2013

Squash Casserole

I stumbled across this recipe about two months ago and I think I've made it about 10 times.  It's that good.  My family loves it.  I even served it at Thanksgiving - it was that good.

First, here's a quick picture of some of the Christmas treats Mom and I made this year. 
It's a tradition for us to bake a ton of things prior to Christmas. We love to bake and we have a lot of fun together.



And one more non-squash related picture - of Bridget, and in the background, my daughter Bailey.



Wait - are they on the sofa??  Doggies are not allowed on the sofa!!

Back to the Squash Casserole.  I found the original recipe here.

Here's what you need (and this has been tweaked a bit):

  • 6 cups large diced yellow squash (about 5 or 6)
  • Vegetable oil or Olive oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons butter (I only used about 2)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup crushed butter crackers (recommended: Ritz)  I used 1 sleeve of crackers
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Heat your oven to 350.

Chop up the squash and onion.  Sauté the onion in the oil and butter, then add in the squash.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for about 5 minutes in a skillet.  Move to a mixing bowl and add in the cheeses and sour cream.  Pour mix into a greased 9x13 pan and then sprinkle the crushed crackers on top.  Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.   

Here's my squash, all washed and ready to be chopped up.



Bailey took this action shot for me - chop up all of the squash please. I slice them straight down from top to bottom, and then slice them thinly.



You will end up with a lot of squash.



Then slice up an onion the same way.  Go ahead and try not to cry.  I dare you.

Go ahead and toss the onion into a skillet with a bit (tablespoon) of olive oil or veggie oil and the butter, and sweat the onion for a bit.  Add the salt and pepper too please.



To add to you level of difficulty, please have a dog follow you around and whenever you stand still for more than two seconds, have that dog lay on your feet. 

Please. 




And then when you aren't paying attention, please have your daughter take a "selfie" of her and her best friend, Taylor. 

Thankyouverymuch.



After the onions have cooked just a bit, add the squash and let them cook in the skillet for about 5 minutes. 

Then move them to a large mixing bowl.  Add in the two cheeses, and sour cream.



Mix these together and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.   Spread the crushed crackers on top.


Here's the squash with the crackers on top, ready to go into the oven.



Bake at 350' until it is bubbly, about 25-30 minutes.  You will see that the crackers don't get too brown.  That's ok.  It's still yum!!




I have made this dish ahead of time and then baked it just before serving.  It turns out great every time. 




Enjoy!

No comments: