Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Enjoy the silence


My darling dear Bailey is away at camp this week, and my house sure is quiet. Well, quiet except for the cats meowing because no one is there to pet them all day.

Rominal and I are enjoying our "adult" time. Last night after a lovely dinner of steak and potatoes, we decided we wanted something sweet. So, we hopped into the car and took off to Sonic for a late night treat. It felt very odd not having that third person in the car with us and (I say this with the utmost of love) not having her monopolize the conversation. We talked about our day, things going on at our jobs, current news events, and not once did someone interrupt us to tell us about the latest text message she just received or roll her eyes. It was nice. Very nice.

Tonight we are going to see the movie The Hangover, an "R" rated film that we wouldn't be able to see if Bailey were with us. Can you believe it? I'm going to see a movie on a "school night!"

Wow - I feel so . . . so adult.

The campers aren't allowed to bring their cell phones, and they don't make calls home, so the lack of communication is difficult - for me. I find myself thinking of her several times during the day. Is she having fun? Is she getting along with her camping buddies? Is she drinking enough water? (I'm not just being silly, they are outside and it's really hot there.) I'm sure she is having a blast and hasn't thought twice about us.

We will pick her up on Friday and our short adult time will be over. I was thinking that this is good preparation for when she goes off to college. You hear of other couples who just don't know what to do with themselves after the kids have moved out of the house. While I realize it's only been a couple of days for us so far, I think we will be just fine.

3 comments:

Mom (Suzie) said...

We took so many pictures at the camp. Weren't any of them good enough to include in this post?

Wendy said...

Actually, I bet the pictures are great, I just haven't had a chance to get them off of my camera. And, I posted this from work and my pictures are at home.

Shhh, don't tell anyone. :-)

Mom (Suzie) said...

I won't breath a word to anyone.