Sunday, May 3, 2009

Good Friends

My daughter Bailey has been friends with Brittany since they were in preschool together at age 3 or 4 (I can't remember which). Brittany spent the night with us last night and I got to thinking about how much they have grown and changed over the years.

This picture was taken in 2001, when the girls would have been 5. Those were the good days when they could entertain themselves in the bathtub for a while.





Skip forward a couple of years to 2003 and here they are at age 7, in matching dresses.



And they could still be entertained in a bathtub - the tub just had to be bigger.



Occasionally when they got together they would have an argument. After one day of hearing them bicker back and forth, I came up with this idea. I had them sit on the floor, Indian-style (or criss-cross, applesauce if you are politically correct), put their hands on the other person's knees and put their heads together. I would make them sit like this until they started giggling. It normally didn't take too long.




Sometimes, just to make sure they were both in better moods, I would make them put their cheeks together too. It made for a cute picture.




Fast forward a couple more years when we went on a vacation together. After a full day of hiking and running around, the girls were tired and cranky and bickering with each other. Because we were outside, I let them sit on a wall, but they still had to "assume the position."





Because they were older now (and more stubborn - note the look in Bailey's eyes saying - I will not laugh!), they didn't find this amusing at first. So, I had them walk around with their hands on the other's knees for a bit. At this point I didn't really care if they were still fussing with each other - at least I was having a good time.




So, this brings me to today. They are both older now, and (knock on wood) so far today there has been no fussing. I've heard nothing but giggles all day. But just for old time's sake, I had them assume the position anyway.





The only objection I heard was about how cold the floor was.



They got over that pretty quickly - this still gets them laughing.



No comments: